WHAT: Meet the Author: Cindy Frenkel, The Plague of the Tender-Hearted
Please join us for this wonderful opportunity to meet Cindy Frenkel, Michigan author and educator speaking about her chapbook, The Plague of the Tender-Hearted. She will also discuss its back story, including owning her voice in her late middle years, as well as diminishing the stigma of mental illness and addiction, all while replacing it with intimacy, purpose, and humor. The evening will be filled with insight and reflection on topics we call all relate to in our lives.
WHEN: Tuesday, November 16; 7 pm Düsseldorf, 1:00 pm Detroit
REGISTRATION OPENS: October 12
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
“She is just as charismatic in person or via Zoom as her writing. She lifts you up, even when discussing a difficult subject. She makes you feel whole that you are not alone when coping with an uncomfortable subject that affects so many of us.”, AIWCD member, Karen Van Antwerp
Her recent book in Cindy´s own words:
It’s... a book about a woman telling her truth in her later middle years, finding unlikely love and realizing the utter joy of many intangibles–the depth of friendships, the satisfaction of emerging into a fuller, more compassionate person, and the joys of the natural world. Ultimately, I’d like to think it’s about diminishing the stigma of addiction and mental illness, coupled with offering hope, all while celebrating ordinary delights.
My greatest hope is that this book will shed light and compassion on mental illness while helping prevent suicide–and I know that’s wildly ambitious! I’ll be grateful if it hits that chord with even one reader, a reader who might gain an understanding of the devastation of a single act and how its ripple effect can irrevocably devastate many lives. In putting this out there, I am also claiming my voice–after years of giving myself away to please others, something to which many women can relate. It feels like I’m finally emerging, or, to quote George Eliot, “It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention. She is involved with community organizations, including A Single Soul, dedicated to preventing suicide and bring hope to those affected by suicide.
- Recent WIRED magazine article: Teacher, she also taught Creative Writing for Video Gamers. https://www.wired.com/story/classic-literature-game-design-development-better-stories/
- The Living Room Online Literary Series Detroit #7 07 12 20 v2 – international guests do readings and Q&A Poetry Reading MOLLY PEACOCK & Friends featuring CINDY FRENKEL, DAWN McDUFFIE & CHRISTINE RHEIN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp8c1v-hIxk&t=2885s, one of the artists, poetry reading.
- New York Corner’s Parrot Literary Corner --Episode 164 - The Literary InsideOut of Cindy Frenkel Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lZnNtFfyF4
- Recent work
- Divining Dante Paperback, Dante's exploration of the relationship between the physical and spiritual worlds and humankind's responsibilities to each other seems particularly relevant, and to commemorate Dante's anniversary 70 poets from around the world to respond to Dante's famous work. Cindy is a contributor.
ZOOM LINK: Given after registration
HOST: Karen VanAntwerp, email@example.com